Company: Florida Court Clerks & Comptrollers
Contact Person: Human Resources
Application Deadline: September 1, 2020
Florida Court Clerks & Comptrollers is looking for a passionate, skilled and highly motivated Legislative Analyst.
General Purpose of the Position:
Under the direction of the Director of Legislative and Public Affairs, this position is responsible for supporting legislative services and advocacy programs; monitors and analyzes the legislative activities and new policies established by federal, State and local government for the Association and Clerks of Court.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work directly with the Director of Legislative & Public Affairs, Legislative Affairs Manager, General Counsel, and Association Legislative Chair to monitor, support, analyze, and summarize the Association’s yearly legislative agenda
- Serves as the lead staff for FCCC bill analyses and drafting of amendments and bills for Clerk legislative issues.
- Provide support to Association Legislative Committee and workgroups
- During each legislative session (including interim committee weeks), provide support to the Legislative Affairs team in the review, tracking, and reporting of bills and issues that may have an impact on Clerk and Comptroller operations.
- Assist with statewide training needs for Clerk operational issues stemming from new or amended legislation, assist in developing and facilitating training curriculum
- Conduct legislative research, analysis, and formulation of reports, talk sheets, PowerPoint and other types of presentations, and any other materials necessary to the Clerks’ and Association’s legislative agenda
- Serve or assist on committees and task forces both internal and external to the Association
- Edit and develop outgoing documents, communications, etc., as needed
- Communicate with coworkers, management, staff, Clerks’ offices, the general public, and others in a courteous and professional manner
- Conform with and abide by all regulations, policies, work procedures, safety rules and regulations, and instructions
- Respond promptly when returning telephone calls and replying to correspondence, e-mail, and faxes
- Provide high quality customer service to all internal and external customers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Practical knowledge of federal, State, and local government organizations and functions.
- Experience in the Florida legislative process, as a legislative aide, analyst on a committee or bill drafting is preferred.
- Must have excellent written, verbal, communication, and editing skills, and be able to manage time effectively.
- Ability to understand and interpret constitutional provisions, statutes, administrative rules, and legal precedents.
- Ability to draft proposed legislative bill language
- Ability to organize large amounts of information and keep accurate records.
- Ability to do research and data analysis.
- Ability to think analytically and have negotiation skills.
- Ability to maintain composure and work cooperatively under pressure on a daily basis with legislators, legislative staff, and the public.
- Ability to work objectively and impartially with members of all political parties and on all policy issues.
- Ability to present information clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability and willingness to work independently.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Ability to function as a conscientious employee with a strong work ethic who pays attention to work product and process details.
- Must be well organized, have people skills, patience, diplomacy, and tact.
- Ability to compromise and maintain resolve as circumstances and priorities dictate.
- Ability to deal with people, and adapt and react quickly to changing circumstances.
- Ability and willingness to work an extended schedule and extra hours with little or no advance notice.
Education and Experience Required:
A Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Political Science, Business Administration or related field, plus 3 years of public administration or paralegal experience; Legal background and legislative committee experience preferred.
Computer Equipment and Software Requirements:
The position requires the ability to work with a personal computer and peripheral equipment in a Windows environment; the ability to utilize Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint and MSWord is necessary. The position additionally requires the knowledge of other software products developed or owned by FCCCSG. The position requires the ability to perform online research using online data bases (LobbyTools, StateNet, Legislative data bases and national research tools). The position requires developing research surveys and analysis of the results. Training for these programs will be provided.
Compensation, Benefits and other: Salaried position; pay depends on experience. Health, Vision, Dental, Life, after waiting period.
How to Apply
Interested candidates may apply by email to [email protected] by COB September 1, 2020 and include:
• A cover letter with salary requirements.
• Optional: Link to work samples
Job Originally Posted on: Friday, August 14, 2020