What’s in a Name?: Perspectives on Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL)
- Location: FSU Alumni Association – Grand Ballroom
- Address: 1030 West Tennessee Street, Tallahassee, FL 32304
- RSVP Deadline: Thursday, July 20, at noon
Please note: Registration will be capped at 35 seats for FPRA Capital Chapter members and guests.
Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) is a new and exciting frontier in college sports, allowing student athletes to receive compensation for anything that identifies them, such as autograph signings, product endorsements, social media posts, and more.
The guidelines surrounding NIL in Florida have changed significantly since the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) first began allowing athletes to profit from their NIL in 2021. Florida recently amended its NIL law in Feb. 2023, removing restrictions that prohibited schools from facilitating NIL deals. The amended law also removed a provision requiring that NIL compensation only come from third parties unaffiliated with an athlete’s school.
Join the FPRA Capital Chapter and The Economic Club of Florida on July 27 at the FSU Alumni Association for a joint panel program on the impact of NIL. The panel – moderated by Hugh Tomlinson, the Director of Development & Planned Giving at Seminole Boosters – will feature the following speakers:
– Ben Chase / Director of NIL Strategy, University of Florida
– Will Cowen / Chief Operating Officer, Rising Spear
– Michaela Edenfield / Catcher, FSU Seminoles Softball
– Will Hall / Attorney, Dean Mead
– Joe Hernandez / Founder and CEO, Just Win Management Group, which represents FSU Quarterback Jordan Travis
Panelists will address questions including:
– How will the issue of NIL earnings impact the landscape of college athletics?
– How do student athletes identify brand partnerships?
– How can public relations professionals support student athletes who are engaged in NIL deals?
– What are the potential legal challenges or obstacles that may arise regarding college athletes earning money from NIL opportunities?
Lunch and networking will begin at 11:30 a.m., and the program will begin at noon.
This program is in partnership with The Economic Club of Florida.
Thank you to our sponsors!