June Program Recap – A Quick-Start Guide to Starting Your Own Communications Consultancy
Date: June 23, 2022
Venue: Florida Health Care Association
- Chirag Shah, Founder & CEO of The Current Agency
- Michelle Bono, APR, CPRC, CEO of Bono Communications & Marketing
- Sandi Poreda, APR, President of Bulldog Strategy Group and adjunct professor for the FSU College of Communication & Information
- Allison Aubuchon, APR, President of Allison Aubuchon Communications
During our June program, FPRA Capital Chapter members heard from a panel of four talented PR agency principals who shared their advice, best practices, and anecdotes about starting your own communications consultancy. Here are some key takeaways:
- Don’t be afraid to just go for it. If you are a part of the FPRA Capital Chapter, you already have the tools and contacts to begin planning for the launch of your own consultancy. Trust yourself, create a plan, ask your mentors for advice, and take the leap if it’s something you want to do.
- Outsource for certain business operations. If bookkeeping, taxes, or legal documents are not your strong suit, consider hiring an outside company to handle those tasks.
- Have a business baby-sitter. Taking time off from work as a small business owner IS possible, but you need to plan ahead. It can help to have a “business baby-sitter” who can take care of your clients while you are away.
- Set boundaries. If you respond to client emails immediately and at all hours of the day, that is going to become the expectation. As a consultant, make sure you are setting boundaries to help protect your work-life balance.
Members in attendance also voted on the 2022-23 Capital Chapter board slate. The slate was approved.