Company: Florida Department of Environmental Protection
Contact Person: Tammy Levingston (850)245-2013
Application Deadline: May 9, 2017
The Florida Department of Environmental Position is seeking a motivated, driven communications professional for the role of Press Secretary. The Press Secretary will work with the Communications Director and a talented communications team to help facilitate DEP’s communications efforts and keep the press and public informed of the agency’s programs, services and accomplishments.
Specific duties include:
• Inform media and other external audiences about the programs, projects and initiatives of the Department as an agency spokesperson.
• Identify media opportunities and strategies to proactively communicate the Department’s mission and provide clear, concise and consistent information to the public.
• Plan and execute public relations strategies, including communications plans, media outreach and briefings.
• Drafts, edits and approves press releases, press advisories, agency statements, opinion pieces and letters to the editor.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with representatives of local, state and national media, as well as other state and local agencies.
• Supervise press office staff and serve as liaison between Press Office and Districts/Divisions/Offices to develop media responses and proactive communications.
• Oversee day-to-day operations of the DEP press office, including tracking and responding to media calls, helping develop social media, web and other communications content, ensuring media clips are compiled and shared, etc.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism, communications or a related field.
• At least 3 years of public relations, media or media relations experience preferred.
• Knowledge of AP style
• Ability to plan, organize and coordinate work assignments.
• Ability to communicate effective
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter and resume to:
Job Originally Posted on: Tuesday, April 25, 2017