Human Resources Administrator
Company: Florida Commission on Offender Review
Contact Person: Monika Holden
Application Deadline: October 28, 2019
The Florida Commission on Offender Review, formerly known as the Florida Parole Commission, is looking to fill the Director of Communications position within the Office of Communications. The position is located in the Commission’s Central Office, in Tallahassee. The position is charged with overseeing the agency’s internal and external communications and public information programs, also acting as the agency’s chief spokesperson.
The Commission functions as a quasi-judicial decision-making body, responsible for the careful selection of candidates appropriate for release from incarceration to parole, and administers parole, conditional release supervision, conditional medical release supervision, control release supervision, and addiction recovery release supervision. The Commission acts as the administrative and investigative arm of the Governor and Cabinet, sitting as the Board of Executive Clemency.
This position is classified as a full-time Selected Exempt Service (SES) position and works under the supervision of the Chairman. The salary range is $52,917.80 – $60,000.
The Director of Communications is a strategic-minded communicator who acts as the primary spokesperson for the Commission. The incumbent is charged with overseeing the agency’s internal and external communications and public information programs. He/she responds to daily inquiries from local, state, and national media organizations, as well as to public information requests. The Director is responsible for the production of publications and informational materials disseminated to media, key stakeholders, and the general public. He/she develops and implements the Commission’s communication strategies and tactics to inform the media, general public, and related stakeholders regarding Commission, state of Florida, and public safety topics and issues. An excellent writer with an eye for design, the Director establishes Commission brand standards and style guidelines across all communication platforms including print, digital, and broadcast.
Examples of Work
- Composes original, style-specific content for use in press releases, media advisories, agency statements, talking points, fact sheets, reports, newsletters, and websites.
- Creates graphic documents and reports within Commission brand standards to promote, support, and inform targeted stakeholders regarding the agency’s programs and/or events.
- Coordinates specific Communication-centered internal and external Commission events including press events and media interviews.
- Manages electronic media coverage databases and media distribution lists.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with key media members, and fulfills media inquiries by providing accurate, concise, and consistent information within a designated timeframe while adhering to procedural guidelines.
- Maintains current knowledge of Commission functions and activities, legislative issues, and current public safety issues and topics through daily review of media clips and other state government resource tools.
- Maintains knowledge of Commission department programs and projects to identify potential opportunities/partnerships to expand the department’s reach and/or mitigate potential press issues.
- Provides and/or briefs executive office administration, Commissioners, agency leadership and staff, and other pertinent entities with relevant media inquiries, press coverage, public records requests, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism, public affairs, English, or related field
- Five plus years of relevant experience in communications, public affairs, public relations, or a related field
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Strong and confident leadership skills
- Demonstrated project management ability
- Familiarity with members of the Capitol Press Corps and other members of the Florida media
- Strong presentation skills
- Microsoft Office
- Video production
- Graphic design
- Adobe Suite software
How to Apply
Go to https://peoplefirst.myflorida.
Job Originally Posted on: Tuesday, October 22, 2019