Vice President of Communications
Company: Foundation for Excellence in Education
Contact Person: [email protected]
Application Deadline: July 15, 2016
Position Available: Vice President of Communications
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Category: Full-time, salaried, at-will employee
Location: Tallahassee, FL or Washington, DC
The Vice President of Communications oversees the development and implementation of external communications strategies for one of the foremost education reform organizations in the nation. The Vice President of Communications manages a team responsible for developing the organization’s communications and marketing plans, overseeing their implementation and equipping staff to effectively communicate the mission, goals and work of the organization to the public, press and stakeholders.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and implements integrative communications strategies that advance the Foundation’s mission and initiatives.
- Identifies communication opportunities and challenges and proactively develops strategies to maximize results.
- Oversees the Foundation’s external marketing and outreach initiatives through audio, visual, print, digital and online communications.
- Supports the Foundation’s in-state education reform policy and advocacy work, developing and implementing communication strategies that advance the Foundation’s reform agenda.
- Provides strategic communications advice to state leaders and advocates of education reform on policy development, adoption and implementation.
- Oversees grassroots and community engagement efforts to effectively communicate the mission, goals and work of the Foundation to parents, students and teachers.
- Oversees print, radio and television media strategies. Interacts with members of the press corps, lawmakers, Foundation supporters and the public. Acts as the Foundation’s spokesperson on issues of national interest.
- Plays a lead role in the production and marketing of the National Summit on Education Reform.
- Represents the Foundation at state and national events.
Extensive knowledge of the principles and techniques of strategic communications, media and public relations, new media and marketing.
Broad knowledge and understanding of state and federal policy-making processes and political environments.
Excellent oral and written communication skills and knowledge of the rules of grammar and punctuation.
Experience directing or implementing project-based communications plans.
Ability to contribute to developing long range goals and meeting strategic objectives.
Ability to plan, organize and coordinate complex work assignments and projects.
Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, manage multiple projects and manage a highly productive team.
Able to travel to represent Foundation or facilitate meetings as requested.
Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in communications, journalism, political science or other relevant area of study with at least five years supervisory experience. Experience should include on-the-record media relations, executing earned media campaigns, writing speeches, opinion editorials, press releases and marketing materials and working with elected or appointed officials and at the executive level.
How to Apply
Submit resume and cover letter via email to [email protected]. You will be contacted if selected for further consideration.
Job Originally Posted on: Monday, June 20, 2016