Vice President of Communications
Company: James Madison Institute
Application Deadline: March 9, 2017
The Vice President of Communications reports to the president and serves as an integral member of the senior management team. The Vice President of Communications is responsible for the development of The James Madison Institute’s communication strategy and will contribute to JMI’s strategic planning process. This position will develop and execute an innovative, comprehensive communications plan for JMI, directly managing communications activities that promote, enhance and protect the organization’s brand reputation. This position will be responsible for the development, integration and implementation of a broad range of public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership. This individual will be an ambassador for the organization and will need to build relationships with the media. The goal is to advance the organization’s position with relevant constituents, as well as to drive broader awareness and donor support for the organization. The Vice President of Communications will be responsible for JMI’s varied and integrated communications products and services including: media outreach, newsletters and other print publications, website, email newsletters and other online communications; public relations and marketing.
Bachelor’s degree required with preference given to majors in communications, journalism, public relations or closely related field. A minimum of 4 years related experience is preferred.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills;
- Strong communication skills;
- Understanding of broadcast, print, and online media;
- Thorough knowledge of the legislative process
- Knowledge of current issues and events in which the Institute is involved;
- Ability to work cooperatively and courteously with others;
- Temperament to communicate with a variety of personalities in a tactful, pleasant, and professional manner;
- Knowledge of office policies, practices, and procedures;
- Knowledge of office computer applications; and proficiency in word processing.
How to Apply
Apply online at: https://www.jamesmadison.org/
Job Originally Posted on: Thursday, February 9, 2017