University Communications Specialist
Company: Florida State University
Contact Person: Amy Farnum-Patronis
Application Deadline: May 15, 2023
This is a key position on Florida State University’s integrated marketing and communications team within the Office of University Communications that works closely with administration, faculty, staff and students to develop and produce positive publicity about the university in multiple formats for regional, national and global audiences.
The person in this position:
– Produces university news releases, media advisories, feature stories and web content in AP Style. Writes and edits statements and newsletters for university leadership. Edits news stories developed by University Communications team members and campus communicators.
– Performs media relations duties including processing inquiries for information, public records and interview requests from external media. Provides media relations services at university events and coordinates news conferences and photo opportunities as necessary. Cultivates and maintains relationships with media to enhance the university’s media relations strategy. Pitches university events, news items and story ideas to local, state, national and international media for publication. Provides communications and media relations advice and counsel to internal FSU constituencies. Develops media training materials as needed. Monitors and shares press clips with university leadership.
– Updates the university’s online news website and homepage to include news, graphics, video, social media content using content management systems, social media platforms and photo editing applications.
– Identifies opportunities for university faculty experts to be featured in local, regional and national news stories.
– Collaborates with FSU campus communicators and university leadership to identify and develop content that will help support the university’s strategic goals and enhance the university’s national reputation among the general public and peer academic institutions.
– Assists with issues management and crisis communications.
Bachelor’s degree and three years of experience related to the duties of this position; or a high school diploma or equivalency and seven years of experience related to the duties of this position.
– Knowledge of and experience in journalism and writing in Associated Press style.
– Strong interpersonal, telephone and email communications skills are critical.
– Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
– Ability to gather, interpret, report, and/or edit information.
– Knowledge of the standards, principles, trends, and practices of news production.
– Experience working with current media technology including issues, trends, web standards and best practices.
How to Apply
Apply online via https://hr.fsu.edu/working-fsu. Search for Job ID 54475.
FSU is an Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer. FSU’s Equal Opportunity Statement can be accessed at https://hr.fsu.edu/sites/g/files/upcbnu2186/files/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf.
Job Originally Posted on: Thursday, April 6, 2023