Summer Communications Intern
Company: Ounce of Prevention Fund of Florida
Contact Person: Zoe Linafelt, APR
Application Deadline: March 11, 2023
Position: Summer Communications Intern
Supervisor: Zoe Linafelt, APR (Director of Communications)
I’m looking for an intern for the summer 2023 semester. They would work on materials and public awareness campaigns about preventing child abuse and neglect and strengthening families. The intern could receive three credit hours toward their degree, if they choose. This internship includes on-the-job training for all skills and programs related to the position.
About the Ounce of Prevention Fund of Florida
What We’re About: More than 30 years ago, a handful of influential policy makers, corporate leaders and children’s advocates in Florida shared a common vision: to create a private, nonprofit organization dedicated to funding research and demonstration projects to help Florida’s at-risk children and their families. In 1989, the dream became reality, and the Ounce of Prevention Fund of Florida was founded.
What We Do: The organization is a public-private partnership, blending state and private dollars and investing them in innovative, community-based programs that serve at-risk children and their families.
We Believe in Partnerships: Today, the Ounce of Prevention Fund has become one of Florida’s true health and human services success stories. In addition to its original function as a laboratory for innovative, community projects to help children and families, the organization has taken on the additional role of housing statewide initiatives, including the nationally accredited voluntary home visiting program Healthy Families Florida and the Florida Chapter of Prevent Child Abuse America.
The student’s interests will help determine their duties. Responsibilities may include:
• Copy editing
• Developing and scheduling social media content for Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
• Graphic design (Canva)
• Video editing (WeVideo)
• Podcast production (WeVideo)
• Ensuring content is accessible (video captions, transcriptions, screen-reader accessible PDFs, and more)
• Start and end dates to be determined by intern
• If student completing internship for three credit hours: 160 total hours over the course of 13 weeks
• Weekly schedule may be set by intern (Office is open M-F, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.)
• In-office only (no remote work)
Benefits & Compensation
• If desired, three hours of college credit (paperwork supplied by student to me)
• Office laptop
• On-the-job training and mentoring
• Open and respectful environment where all ideas and perspectives are welcome
• Intern will produce professional-grade materials to add to their portfolio
About the Supervisor (Zoe)
I began my communications career in 2010 as an intern at a PR firm while completing my degree in Creative Writing at Florida State University. After interning and working for the firm for seven years, I worked at a statewide association and then at a state agency before joining the team at the Ounce. I am the Immediate Past President of the Capital Chapter of the Florida Public Relations Association.
I’ve mentored many students and young professionals throughout the past 12 years. I love to keep in touch with former interns and often serve as a reference when they apply for new jobs.
I’m proud to work now at my dream job where I get to help my amazing colleagues support Florida parents with counseling and resources, prevent child drownings and sleep-related deaths, and teach program staff from all over the state how to help kids grow up strong, safe, and healthy. I hope you’ll apply to be a part of this rewarding work!
Zoe Linafelt, APR
(Pronunciation: ZOH-ee LINN-uh-felt)
Director of Communications
Ounce of Prevention Fund of Florida
O: (850) 921-4494 ext. 209
C: (850) 339-9438
• Student enrolled in community college, technical college, or university
• Excellent English writing and copy editing skills
• Basic familiarity with Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
• Basic familiarity with Canva a plus
• Fluency in Spanish, Creole, or American Sign Language a plus
How to Apply
Application Deadline: March 10, 2023
How to Apply: Email a one-page PDF resume and one English writing sample (any format) to [email protected]. Qualified applicants will be invited to the office for an in-person interview and brief writing skills test.
Job Originally Posted on: Thursday, February 9, 2023