Special Events & Affinity Groups Manager
Company: United Way of the Big Bend
Contact Person: Sherri Edmonston, VP of Administration & HR
Application Deadline: December 31, 2022
United Way of the Big Bend (UWBB) is seeking an enthusiastic Special Events & Affinity Groups Manager who will lead and coordinate the organization, logistics and successful execution of all events. The Special Events Manager will work closely with UWBB leadership and committee volunteers to create meaningful and impactful events that promote strong community relations, provide brand visibility, increase revenue, donor loyalty and invite new supporters to UWBB. Key UWBB events include the annual Women’s Leadership Breakfast, Annual Community Meeting/Campaign Kickoff, Lip Sync Contest, Community Golf Classic and various other engagement events. (UWBB affinity groups include Women United and Emerging Leaders United.)
UWBB serves eight counties in the Big Bend area with the mission to raise awareness, mobilize resources and find collaborative, targeted solutions for our community’s most vital concerns. We lead the communities we serve by engaging and connecting with others who share our commitment to help our neighbors, friends and colleagues who are living in poverty and/or struggling to make ends meet.
Schedule: Full-time, 40 hours per week
Location: Tallahassee, FL
• Support and maximize Resource Development fundraising efforts through successful planning, organization, and execution of all special events
• Identify and secure sponsorships, manage event budgets and coordinate with outside event vendors
• Serve as primary point of contact for Women United and Emerging Leaders United communications and events
• Coordinate and manage affinity group committee meetings and volunteer efforts
• Work with Marketing & Communications team to provide web and social media content as well as prepare event information and materials
• Ensure that UWBB’s community impact ROI messaging is effectively communicated to current and prospective donors during events
• Have strong organizational skills and attention to detail
• Excel at multi-tasking, managing and meeting overlapping deadlines
• Have excellent interpersonal, communication and networking skills
• Have a passion for community and mission-based work
• Enjoy communicating, leading and working with a diverse population
• Work well both independently and as a member of team
Required Experience and Key Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in Communications/Public Relations, Hospitality Management, or related discipline preferred, or equivalent experience
• 2+ years of successful work in event management, hospitality, fundraising, or related field
• An ability to work in a cross-functional, fast paced work environment
• Demonstrated excellence in project management, communication, and organizational skills.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
• Access to reliable transportation, proof of insurance, and a valid driver’s license
• Workplace culture that is family-oriented and supports teamwork and collaboration
• Professional office setting – in-person position
• Some evening or weekend hours during peak times
Excellent benefits package: Medical, life, and LTD Insurance, retirement plan, paid leave time, 12 paid holidays, and half-day Fridays during the summer months.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] by December 31, 2022.
EOE/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Drug Free
The above declarations are not intended to be an “all-inclusive” list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job.
Job Originally Posted on: Friday, December 2, 2022