Social Media and Public Information Intern
Company: Leon County Government
Contact Person: Community and Media Relations
Application Deadline: December 8, 2023
Leon County is seeking a qualified social media and public information intern for the 2024 spring semester.
About Leon County Community and Media Relations
Leon County’s Community and Media Relations (CMR) department proactively facilitates the accurate, effective, timely and consistent flow of public information to internal and external parties of interest, provides community outreach, and serves as the County’s liaison with its media partners.
CMR internships offer university students interested and skilled in digital media, communications, public affairs/relations, media and/or journalism, and government and media affairs opportunities to work alongside the County’s public information specialists.
As our social media and public information intern, you will:
- collaborate with the Community & Media Relations team and other Leon County staff to develop and manage multimedia content and campaigns across social media platforms.
- assist in the organization, documentation, and promotion on social media of press conferences and other public events, programs, and/or activities to promote County activities
- use analytics to analyze the needs and behaviors of citizens
- research new approaches to digital outreach.
- innovate and experiment with new approaches to broaden our reach and extend our message.
- write and edit written material for distribution using a variety of media, including news releases and advisories, marketing collateral, award submissions, promotional material and more.
- develop knowledge of the principles and techniques of public relations, public information, mass communications, news reporting, editing, advertising, and marketing.
Applicants must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program during the internship.
Qualified candidates must have a strong interest in, or are seeking a degree in, digital media, communications, public affairs/relations, media and/or journalism. Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks and work under pressure are a must. Meticulous attention to detail in writing and editing is also necessary.
This is an unpaid, in-person internship, requiring a minimum commitment of 12 hours per week. Students may earn academic credit while working in our office.
Community & Media Relations is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Some evening and weekend event work may be required.
How to Apply
How to Apply
Submit the following items to [email protected] with the subject “2024 Spring Internship – Social Media” by the application deadline.
- Cover letter explaining why you’re interested in this internship.
- Academic writing sample, maximum 5 pages.
The deadline to apply for the 2024 spring semester is Friday, December 8, 2023.
The internship will coincide with local university schedules, beginning on Monday, January 8, 2024, and continuing until Friday, May 3, 2024.
Job Originally Posted on: Tuesday, November 21, 2023