Senior Director of Communications
Company: Florida State University Foundation
Contact Person: Aqueelah Rivers
Application Deadline: March 7, 2014
The Senior Director of Communications provides leadership, direction and administrative oversight to the communications team within the Office of Advancement Relations (OAR). The Senior Director of Communications directly influences the Foundation’s internal and external communications efforts, media relations, website and intranet development and publications initiatives. The Senior Director of Communications will be expected to uphold and exemplify the operating practices and mission of the Florida State University Foundation.
• Establish measures for monitoring accountability and effectiveness of communications efforts;
• Supervise and evaluate direct report personnel and coordinate training to enhance performance;
• Develop, administer and monitor budget for the Communications Department;
• Assist the Vice President of OAR in the conceptualization and development of collateral material for major campaigns, including case statements and fund raising brochures, and coordinate the production of other campaign materials, both print and electronic;
• Develop internal and external communication strategies that articulate key messages and consistently advance the Foundation’s mission and goals;
• Assist the Office of Annual Giving with print and electronic direct response initiatives;
• Manage the Foundation’s media relations efforts;
• Assist the departments of Special Events, Board Relations and Donor Relations and Stewardship by creating appropriate communication pieces, proofing minutes and gift acknowledgement letters, and crafting talking points, presentations, letters and other materials, as needed;
• Provide direction and oversight to print and electronic publication initiatives;
• Oversee web and appropriate intranet content and the expansion of web presence;
• Establish and monitor priorities of the department to focus on favorably positioning the Foundation with major constituencies. Adjust priorities as necessary in order to remain flexible and responsible to any sudden opportunities or needs;
• Assist the Office of Advancement Relations with its strategic, long-term planning efforts;
• Effectively communicate organization’s mission and represent the organization’s culture to external stakeholders;
• Cultivate long-term, collaborative relationships with key stakeholders and a broad network of alliances;
• In the absence of the Vice President, serve as the primary contact and manage the Office of Advancement Relations, making key decisions, as appropriate.
• Protect confidential information.
Education & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree required;
• Minimum of five years of professional experience in private or public sector communications;
• Minimum of three years of experience in a management capacity;
• Proven ability of creating and executing strategic internal and external communications efforts, preferably as they relate to fundraising campaigns;
• Experience in a university or non-profit fundraising environment preferred;
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Products.
Skills & Abilities
• Outstanding interpersonal skills to work effectively and collaboratively with a diverse audience of alumni, friends, faculty, staff, students and University community members;
• Understanding of current and emerging technologies to best reach target markets;
• Superior verbal and written communication skills;
• Excellent project management skills and ability to balance competing priorities, complex situations and tight deadlines;
• Highly organized and analytical, with careful attention to detail;
• Proven ability to build consensus around communication initiatives;
• Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends;
• Ability to travel.
How to Apply
Please visit www.one.fsu.edu/jobs for more information and to upload your cover letter and resume.
Job Originally Posted on: Wednesday, January 8, 2014