Research Media and Content Specialist Job code: 36066
Company: Florida State University
Contact Person: https://jobs.omni.fsu.edu
Application Deadline: August 28, 2013
Reporting to the Research Marketing and Communications Manager in the Office of University Communications, and working in direct support of FSU’s Office of Research, the Research Media and Content Specialist is responsible for the production of cross-channel content and projects to increase overall engagement and awareness of university research and creative activities. This position also helps assist in promotional and public relations opportunities that enhance the reputation of the university’s research and creative activities to external and internal audiences, and supports the university’s overall media relations activities and key initiatives. This employee works closely with faculty and staff and a university-wide network of marketing and communications professionals.
*Conducts interviews and develops a variety of written content related to FSU research and creative activities for internal and external audiences, including local, state, national and international media.
* Builds relationships and maintains contact with a variety of internal stakeholders in order to generate story content and publicize university research.
* Closely collaborates with FSU’s News and Research Communications team to ensure consistency of messages and key initiatives associated with research and creative activities.
* Establishes new media contacts and successfully pitching stories to local, regional, national and international media.
* Evaluates story opportunities to help determine their value in promoting FSU’s research mission and enhancing its reputation.
* Other duties as assigned.
A Bachelor’s degree and two years of relevant experience or a combination of post high school education and relevant experience equal to six years.
*Experience in conducting interviews and developing written content related to Florida State University research and creative activities for internal and external audiences, including local, state, national and international media.
*Ability to maintain contact with administrators, faculty, staff and student leaders with emphasis on publicizing university research; Collaborate with the News and Research Communications team to ensure consistency of messages and key initiatives associated with research and creative activities.
*Experience pitching research and creative activity-related stories locally, regionally, nationally and internationally.
*Experience using computers, major software programs, Internet research and web-based applications.
*Ability to interview people through different forms of electronic media and in-person
* Knowledge of integrated marketing and communications strategies.
* Knowledge of current and emerging media trends and communications tools.
* Ability to work with online news distribution systems and website content management systems.
* Experience in editing the written content of colleagues and other internal stakeholders.
How to Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific vacancy as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include work history and all education details (if applicable) even if attaching a resume.
1) A cover letter explaining how the candidate*s experience and skills align with the position.
2) Three writing samples that demonstrate the candidate*s ability to produce content for different communication channels.
3) Three non-personal references to include at least one former supervisor.
Job Originally Posted on: Monday, August 26, 2013