Public Relations Specialist
Company: UF/IFAS Communications
Contact Person: See Link
Application Deadline: November 29, 2023
The University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences is seeking a public relations specialist and science writer who develops news content and manages media for a designated area.
Works with the University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (UF/IFAS) faculty and staff, primarily focused on north Florida county Extension teams and selected UF/IFAS departments in Gainesville, to identify scholarly research and other programs suitable for news content. Writes and edits stories and news pitches, arranges photo and video to accompany stories, and assists news media in finding UF/IFAS experts as needed. Provides PR support for the UF/IFAS Government Relations team. Curates, organizes, and sends a weekly news digest of agricultural and natural resources news from around Florida to statewide media outlets and internal contacts. Reports to the Associate VP for UF/IFAS Communications.
For more information, visit: https://explore.jobs.ufl.edu/en-us/job/529245/public-relations-specialist
Master’s degree in an appropriate area; or a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area and two years of relevant experience.
Preferred Qualifications Include:
- A degree in public relations, journalism, communications, or related field
- Relevant professional writing experience in journalism or a related field
- Excellent writing skills
- An understanding of local, state, and national news media
- Knowledge of marketing, communications, and social media
- Sharp news sense, good copy-editing skills, and strong attention to accuracy and detail
- Previous experience writing scientific and/or research articles
- Knowledge of Associated Press style
How to Apply
We offer flexible work arrangements such as a full or hybrid remote work location. We prefer that this position be located in the State of Florida, either in Gainesville or Tallahassee.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
Job Originally Posted on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023