Public Relations and Communications Specialist
Company: Florida Education Association
Application Deadline: December 31, 2017
The Public Relations and Communications Specialist will work with the Director of Communications to help maintain and shape the Florida Education Association’s and its members’ image in ways that promote the organization’s strategic goals, values and mission. Along with Communications Director and Assistant Director, the Specialist will be responsible for establishing and maintaining media relations and collaborating with the communications team and other departments.
The Public Relations and Communications Specialist will work with the Director of Communications and other departments to facilitate the organization’s communication with the public, including education policy makers and stakeholders, reporters, and other media specialists.
The Specialist must have strong writing, content creation, editing and presentation skills. The Specialist will be expected to suggest, research and write Op-eds, press releases, speeches, talking points and a variety of internal member communications. The Specialist will contribute to the development of membership, digital and social media campaigns along with web content creation.
Experience in communications, project management, digital and social media desired.
The Communications department’s goal is to design media and communications materials to increase awareness of FEA’s work and goals.
1. Acknowledge and support the advancement of FEA’s vision, mission, and strategic goals.
2. Identify, contribute to, and support new opportunities to advance FEA’s vision, mission, and strategic goals.
3. Perform all work assignments in a manner that effectively and efficiently utilizes FEA resources.
4. Contribute to and support the development and implementation of departmental and interdepartmental programs and services.
5. Perform all duties, responsibilities, and assignments within the guidelines outlined in the FSO/FEA Collective Bargaining Agreement and FEA, ICSU, and Local Affiliate Policies and Procedures.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
• Monitor and coordinate local association program implementation including communications, training, employee relations, minority concerns, instructional and professional development, membership promotion, political concerns, legislation, etc.
• Contribute to formulating communications plans and strategies. Assist in formulation of internal and external communications plans and strategies
• Assist in management of media relations and requests. Write press releases and prepare information for the media. Help the organization communicate effectively with the public and its members.
• Keep apprised of policy and news reports to assist in briefing and helping prepare FEA officers for interviews with the media.
• Write news releases, speeches, articles for publication, that support FEA positions, programs and strategic goals.
• In addition to publication through traditional media outlets, must have knowledge of the internet and social media to enhance the Association’s voice and presence through online and offline channels. Competency in WordPress is desired.
• Work with director(s) and other departments to plan and implement programs and services.
• Support the implementation of internal and external communication campaign plans.
• Present solutions in times of PR crisis.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Communications or Assistant Director of Communications or designee.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS: Salary per the negotiated agreement between the Florida Education Association and the Florida Staff Organization based on credited experience. Employer-provided hospitalization, medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance; employer-paid retirement; vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
COMPETENCY FRAMEWORK – The incumbent must embrace, possess and exhibit the following effectiveness competencies:
• Oral Communication – The Specialist may at times be called upon to speak on behalf of the FEA. When doing so, the Specialist must be able to clearly explain the organization’s position. Expresses information to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information; makes clear and convincing presentations, listens to others; attends to nonverbal cues.
• Self-Management/Initiative – Sets well-defined and realistic personal goals; displays a high level of initiative, effort, and commitment towards completing assignments promptly; works with minimal supervision; is motivated to achieve; demonstrates responsible behavior. The Specialist must respond quickly to news developments and maintain the organization’s reputation.
• Teamwork – Encourages and facilitates cooperation, pride, trust; fosters commitment; works with others to achieve goals.
• Written Communication – Must be able to write well-organized and clear press releases and speeches. The Specialist must be able to grasp the key messages and write them in a short, succinct way to get the attention of busy readers or listeners. Recognizes and uses correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling; communicates information in a succinct and organized manner, produces written information that is appropriate for the intended audience. Social media has become important in PR and earned media campaigns. The Specialist must be able to use new types of social media and digital content effectively.
• Planning and Evaluating – Organizes work, sets priorities, determines resource requirements, determines goals and strategies; coordinates with other organizations, monitors progress; evaluates outcomes. The Specialist will at times be managing several requests and responses at the same time, requiring superior organizational skills.
• Integrity/Honesty – Contributes to maintaining the integrity of the organization; displays high standards of ethical conduct and understands the impact of violating these standards on an organization, self, and others; is trustworthy.
• Interpersonal Skills – FEA work is a team effort. Not only will the Specialist deal with the public and the media regularly but also with other department staff, directors and local union leaders across the state; therefore, the Specialist must be open and friendly to maintain a favorable image for the FEA. Shows understanding, courtesy, tact, empathy; develops and maintains relationships; deals with difficult people; relates well to people from varied backgrounds; is sensitive to individual differences.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should email a statement of interest, updated resume and 3 writing samples to: [email protected]
Job Originally Posted on: Wednesday, November 29, 2017