Public Information Specialist
Company: Florida Department of State
Contact Person: Katie Kole
Application Deadline: March 8, 2016
This is a professional position that works with the Director of External Affairs to promote all exhibits, special events and programs of the Museum properties of the Department of State, including the Museum of Florida History, The Grove, Mission San Luis and The Knott House.
- Write press releases, prepare PSA’s for programs, develop press kits; handle media relations/interviews; submit calendar listings for events (radio, TV, print); work with the design team to develop marketing materials (i.e. fliers, newsletters and brochures); develop strategies and manage Museums social media outlets; develop an annual marketing/communications plan for the Museums; supply and maintain Museum brochures and rack cards for distribution; manage and update the Museum websites.
- Serve on the Museum of Florida History exhibit teams as the public relations representative; attend all museum team meetings for the Museum Development section; prepare all requested reports on publicity, communications and media activities; promote the Museum of Florida History TREX program to increase visibility and bookings; coordinates eblasts and mailings of all Museum invitations and announcements; maintain and add new email addresses to all mailing databases; prepare and distribute monthly digital outreach (newsletter, flyers, etc.) for all museum programs.
- Assist the Communications Director in preparing reports; write and submit articles for newsletters.
- Assists with special events, outreach and educational programming.
- Assists with agency projects and other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Four year degree in communications, public relations, marketing, English, journalism or related field.
- Minimum two years of work experience in a professional marketing or communications environment.
- Experience with museums, tourism, or government is preferred.
- Submit resume and cover letter with employment application.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of Florida history.
- Knowledge of social media platforms and interactions.
- Experience in public speaking and on-camera media interviews.
- Ability to work with the public.
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate work assignments.
- Ability to work flex schedule.
- Knowledge of principles and techniques of disseminating information in written and oral form through various media to diverse audiences.
- Knowledge of print, broadcast and digital media outlets.
- Skills and experience in effectively interacting and dealing with media representatives, staff, and entities.
- Knowledge of computers and related programs.
- Knowledge of printing production, print layout activities, web services and digital communications.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to work with other people on projects and teams.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work with and analyze digital analytics.
- Knowledge of museum goals, techniques, programs and activities.
How to Apply
Job Originally Posted on: Wednesday, March 2, 2016