Public Information Specialist
Company: Florida Commission on Offender Review
Contact Person: Molly Kellogg-Schmauch
Application Deadline: July 17, 2015
This is work publicizing and promoting agency programs to the public and state and local governments through various communications media.
Under the direction of the Director of Communications, the Public Information Specialist is responsible for coordinating, managing and implementing the Commission’s internal and external communication efforts.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in the development and implementation of the Commission’s communication strategies and tactics to inform the media, general public, and related stakeholders regarding Commission, State of Florida and public safety topics and issues.
- Maintain Commission brand standards and style guidelines across all communication platforms including print, digital, and broadcast.
- Independently compose original, style-specific content for use in press releases, media advisories, agency statements, talking points, fact sheets, reports, newsletters and websites.
- Assist in planning internal and external Commission events, press events, and media interviews.
- Manage and update electronic media coverage databases and media distribution lists.
- Respond to media inquiries and public records requests providing accurate, concise and consistent information within a designated time frame while adhering to procedural guidelines.
- Create, manage, and monitor social media content to enhance the Commission’s digital brand.
- Maintain current knowledge of Commission functions and activities, legislative issues and current public safety issues and topics.
- Utilize critical thinking skills on all projects and identify potential opportunities/partnerships to expand the department’s reach.
- Prioritize multiple projects and consistently meet required deadlines.
- Possess and utilize advanced office administration skills including consistent and accurate formatting of commonly used documents (spreadsheets, business letters, memos, etc.).
- Direct and manage operation of Communication office; including calendaring, scheduling and travel arrangements.
- Perform other duties as necessary and required.
- Minimum of three years related experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Communications or Journalism concentrations preferred).
- Advanced knowledge of the practice of communications, public relations and marketing.
- Minimum of one year media relations experience.
- Excellent writing, editing and strategic message development. (AP Style knowledge required).
- High level of proficiency in digital communications and technology (Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite/Cloud).
- Must be able to work well independently.
- Ability to learn and retain complex information regarding public safety issues and topics.
Please attach a resume and two professional writing samples (one must be a press release).
How to Apply
Visit People First website: https://jobs.myflorida.com/viewjob.html?optlink-view=view-813879&ERFormID=newjoblist&ERFormCode=any
Job Originally Posted on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015