Public Information Assistant Intern
Company: Florida Department of Corrections
Contact Person: Misty Cash
Application Deadline: December 31, 2013
Under direct supervision from a designated supervisor, this position will work closely with the Department’s web and video production teams to create educational tools and promote Department initiatives. The applicant will need to have strong customer relations skills and be able to network and foster relationships both internally and externally. The Internship requires a minimum of one academic semester for 20-30 hours per week Monday through Friday. Schedule details to be determined with intern supervisor.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
• Assist with published e-Newsletters (weekly and monthly)
• Write media advisories and releases
• Research and track media contacts/outlets
• Maintain database integrity
• Assist with media inquiries
• Develop social media messages and project plans
• Intern will perform other related duties as assigned
• Junior or Senior standing with credit for college course work in or closely related to Public Relations/Communications
• Professional or nonprofessional experience in Communications or journalism (optional)
• Knowledge of social media platforms and tools
• Knowledge of the general techniques required in Public Relations/Communications
How to Apply
The following five items comprise a completed Internship Application Packet:
1. Cover Letter (If available, please include the specific position working title identified in the position announcement. If not specified in the announcement, please provide the geographic Florida location you are seeking placement and the area of Corrections (Institutions, Community Correction, Central or Regional Office).
2. Internship Program application, DC3-2019 and Volunteer Application DC5-601A
4. Three (3) professional references with contact information (one  of which is from the applicant’s academic program advisor listed on the application form);
5. A valid copy of the applicant’s drivers’ license and insurance card.
For specific details and information regarding this internship position, please contact:
To: Misty Cash
Office of Communications
Florida Department of Corrections
501 South Calhoun Street
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-2500
If you have any questions, please contact Misty Cash at (850) 488-0420 or by e-mail at [email protected] Once your application packet is received, the required criminal background check will be conducted and we will contact you regarding the next steps in the process.
More information can be found at http://www.fldocjobs.com/intern/index.html.
Again, thank you for your interest in the Department’s Professional Internship opportunity.
Job Originally Posted on: Wednesday, August 28, 2013