Company: Florida Department of Corrections
Contact Person: Michelle Glady
Application Deadline: September 17, 2019
– Serve as the department’s press secretary by acting as a spokesperson for the agency with the members of the media.
– Coordinate, track, and respond to a high volume of media inquiries for local, regional, state, and national media outlets.
– Work with correctional institutions, probation offices and program offices to gather information and formulate responses for the media.
– Prepare and research department information for the Secretary and leadership for interacting with the media.
– Draft press releases, media statements and talking points for the Secretary and leadership.
– Provide direct support to the Emergency Operations Center (ESF-14) during an activation.
– Collect and process relevant information in the appropriate format, such as a press release, social media, web post, or other method of delivery.
– Compile data and statistics for use in creating department talking points, speeches and media responses through coordination with the appropriate program offices, operational and administrative staff, as well as coordinators of special initiatives.
– Format and edit documents, publications and presentations for program offices and department leadership.
– Coordinate news media and media witnesses in the event of an execution and provide non-witness news media with relevant information as the execution process progresses.
– Assist in advising institutional personnel about the department’s media relations policies and procedures through daily contact with the institutions and other FDC facilities concerning media requests and visits.
– Advises and visits regional and local correctional institutions and probation offices for the purpose of developing localized information and media relations programs and strategies.
– Monitor and distribute department news clips.
– Facilitate on-site inmate interviews with media representatives.
– Work within the FDC communications team to implement a comprehensive department communications strategy.
– Develop strategic and operational plans for accomplishing news media relations strategies.
– Edit social media posts pertaining to department topics.
– Plan and develop informational materials for press conferences and other media events.
– Provide timely and professional response to media inquiries, recognizing a constantly evolving, 24-hour news media landscape.
– A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and at least two (2) years of documented experience in public relations, social media, marketing or corrections; OR at least four (4) years of documented experience which can be substituted for a degree.
– Exceptional writing abilities required, with a demonstrated ability to write quickly and well on deadline; knowledge of AP Style
– Ability to work in a confidential law enforcement environment
– Ability to work nights and weekends on occasion in response to high-profile incidents
– Experience with social media in a professional setting
– Ability to operate well under pressure, manage multiple projects and positively work in a team environment
– Willingness to go above and beyond to provide exceptional customer service to both inquiring media and internal department customers.
How to Apply
Job Originally Posted on: Thursday, September 12, 2019