Company: Florida Department of Economic Opportunity
Contact Person: Erin Gillespie
Application Deadline: June 30, 2017
The Florida Department of Economic Opportunity’s (DEO) Office of Communications and External Affairs is responsible for sharing information internally and externally, both proactively and reactively, related to the newest state agency in Florida. DEO seeks a self-directed, highly-motivated Press Secretary to join a team of communications professionals in a fast-paced, highly visible government agency.
The Press Secretary works alongside DEO’s Communications Director to organize, develop and implement communications strategies for the agency. The primary responsibilities in this position are in media relations and external affairs in an effort to promote a positive public image among DEO’s various audiences.
• Media Relations
o Receive and respond in a timely and comprehensive manner to incoming inquiries from members of the media.
o Work across agency divisions to gather appropriate data, information and public records for media responses.
o Facilitate media interviews for the Executive Director and other agency leadership.
o Coordinate media events, including press conferences.
• Writing Skills
o Manage creation, production and dissemination of printed and electronic publications for internal education, development and administration purposes.
o Draft press releases, op-eds, statements, letters to the editor and talking points for speeches regarding DEO priorities and Florida’s economic turnaround.
o Compile agency information for reports; edit agency publications for external audiences.
o Manage three positions, including Communications Coordinator, Correspondence Manager and a communications intern.
o Serve as a liaison to the Governor’s Press Office.
o Serve in Communications Director’s role when necessary.
• Experience in public and media relations, including responding to media inquiries, pitching stories about the agency and handling large media events and press conferences.
• Ability to provide information succinctly, accurately and clearly in verbal and written communiques.
• Skilled in researching and obtaining information.
• Promotes consistency and quality in editing for content and grammar.
• Proficiency with most Microsoft Office applications and other commonly-used programs.
• Ability to follow directions and work under minimum supervision.
• Attention to detail and able to meet deadlines.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
How to Apply
Email your resume and writing samples to [email protected]
Job Originally Posted on: Monday, June 5, 2017