Company: Florida Department of Environmental Protection
Contact Person: Kendra Parson
Application Deadline: March 5, 2014
The Florida Department of Environmental Protection is seeking a Press Secretary. The Department is not only the lead agency for environmental management, stewardship and protecting Florida’s air, water and land; it is also one of the more diverse agencies in state government.
This challenging position is a trusted and key member of the Office of External Affairs that reports to the Communications Director. The Press Secretary is responsible for messaging the Department’s priorities when working with the media, and managing the day-to-day activities of the Press Office.
Expectations for this position include fostering and maintaining relationships with local news media, editors, reporters, and press staff within other state agencies; raising greater awareness about the Department’s messages; and facilitating opportunities for the Department to showcase its initiatives, milestones and accomplishments.
Individuals which applied for the Communications Director position need not re-apply.
DEP is divided into three primary areas: Regulatory Programs, Land and Recreation, and Water Policy and Ecosystem Restoration. Florida’s environmental priorities include:
• Developing a consistent and effective regulatory process.
• Ensuring the quality and quantity of our state’s water resources.
• Increasing the access to our award-winning state parks.
The Press Secretary’s duties include but are not limited to:
• Coordinating, overseeing and attending press activities, such as press releases and events;
• Representing the Department in the media and other relevant occasions;
• Developing and implementing strategic communication plans for media events;
• Providing detailed reports of communications activities;
• Supporting communication goals of the Governor and Secretary;
• Producing content for distribution through several information channels and platforms including the Department’s website and social media.
• Travel as assigned by the Communications Director.
Ideal applicants will have the following knowledge and competencies:
• A bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject, such as communications, political science, environmental science or a similar field with substantial relevant professional experience;
• At least four years professional experience in the field of communications or media relations, preferably with at least one years in a managing or supervisory role;
• A clear understanding of the mission, tasks and responsibilities of the Department, as well as Florida’s environmental issues.
• An advanced level command of English;
• Knowledge of Florida’s media outlets; and
• Proficiency in MS Office, in particular Word and PowerPoint.
The successful candidate will have the following behavioral competencies:
• Excellent communication skills and competence to demonstrate empathy in conversations;
• Excellent writing skills and use of simple/clear words and images to give information and communicate ideas;
• Ability to handle sensitive information in a discreet manner, respecting confidentiality;
• Demonstrate a breadth of awareness and sound judgment;
• Ability to manage multiple assignments and track progress on numerous processes simultaneously;
• Capacity to organize work within short time frames;
• Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with staff and management at all levels, both inside and outside the Department; and
• The ability to share and support information about the achievements of the Governor and Department in attaining their goals.
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to Kendra Parson at [email protected]
Job Originally Posted on: Friday, February 28, 2014