Company: Florida Department of Environmental Protection
Contact Person: Elizabeth Khan 850-245-2057
Application Deadline: January 23, 2020
The Press Secretary is responsible for managing the daily operations of the Press Office, serving as the lead for media correspondence and supervising three employees within the Press Office. The position is responsible for developing and executing various communications strategies for the department, including both proactive communications and reactive communications, and frequently working directly with the agency’s Secretary and other executive leadership. This position is within the Office of the Secretary and works closely with all agency program areas.
- Informs external audiences about programs, projects and initiatives of the department.
- Plans and oversees public relations strategies, including communications plans, social media, marketing campaigns and content, media outreach and leadership briefings.
- Drafts, edits and approves press releases, press advisories, agency statements, talking points, agency correspondence, internal messages and letters, presentations, website content, marketing and graphics deliverables, opinion pieces and letters to the editor.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with representatives of state and local agencies.
- Serves as the liaison between Press Office and all districts, divisions, offices, etc., specifically being the lead for communications relating to the Divisions of Waste, Water, Air and all Regulatory Districts; and working together on issue-related communications plans.
- Oversees day-to-day operations of the DEP press office, including tracking and responding to media calls, supervising the development of social media messaging strategies, website review and other communications content, ensuring media clips are compiled and shared, etc.
- Assists the Executive Staff Director with overseeing the reporting of agency outreach and events; defining communications processes for streamlined information.
- Serves as DEP’s lead spokesperson and responds timely to media requests. Prepares clear, concise and consistent information, and identifies sensitive and confidential information.
- Assists the Communications Director with the formulation, development and coordination of policies associated with the external communication functions of DEP and the dissemination of policies to DEP, state of Florida residents, media and other interested parties.
- Assists with development of communications to the media, public, lawmakers, businesses and other interested parties being disseminated by the Press Office.
- Develops and implements communication plans and policies to accomplish DEP’s goals and priorities, which includes being privy to and consulted on sensitive and confidential information, policies and procedures.
- Organizes press conferences, media events and board meetings.
- Develops positive relationships with statewide print, radio and TV outlets, as well as with other press/communication offices and outreach staff.
- Identifies media opportunities and strategies to proactively communicate information to the public.
- Assists at the Emergency Operations Center as a DEP representative when needed.
- Travel to aide leadership and provide media representation at events, as needed.
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and five years of professional experience in news reporting, editing, public relations, public information, advertising, marketing, mass communications or journalism. A master’s degree from an accredited college or university in communications or English can substitute for one year of the required experience. Professional or nonprofessional experience as described above can substitute on a year-for-year basis for the required college education.
A master’s degree from an accredited college or university in communications with six years of professional experience; two of them being supervisory experience.
How to Apply
Job Originally Posted on: Thursday, January 2, 2020