Outreach & Education Assistant
Company: Coastal and Marine Laboratory
Contact Person: n/a
Application Deadline: June 11, 2019
Job Opening – Outreach Assistant
The Apalachicola Bay System Initiative (ABSI) at the Florida State University Coastal and Marine Laboratory seeks a full-time Outreach Assistant who can contribute to a long-term research project examining the health, and mapping a trajectory for recovery of the Apalachicola Bay ecosystem, with emphasis on oyster reefs.
The successful applicant will work closely with the ABSI team and partners. This full-time position will run through June 2024 and includes an hourly wage plus health benefits.
Responsibilities of the position
(1) Website maintenance — updates website, posts news items and articles, creates new pages as needed;
(2) Science communication — works with ABSI leadership and researchers to generate news items, articles, and blogs, coordinates with FSU Communications and the FSUCML to promote the ABSI initiative, communicates science to the public through web-based and in-person fora;
(3) Social media– maintains ABSI facebook, twitter, WordPress, and other social media outlets;
(4) Community outreach — organizes venues, notices, signage, printed media etc., for meetings and public workshops. Helps organize annual Open House events.
(5) Education — organizes education events for K-12 students in Franklin County.
(6) Other duties as assigned
DEADLINE FOR APPLYING IS June 11th, 2019
To learn more about the Apalachicola Bay System Initiative,
please visit our website here:
Must be willing and physically capable of going in the field, occasionally under rigorous conditions, to obtain interviews and other information.
Bachelor degree required in communications or a related field.
Experience with website design/maintenance platforms such as WordPress, Squarespace.
Must have strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, particularly related to the dissemination of complex information to the public.
Experience with event organization and management.
Experience with K-12 educational outreach
Experience in a university setting or with academic research.
Two years of experience disseminating scientific information to the public
Familiarity with the Florida Panhandle region
One year of experience with school groups and K-12 outreach/education
Submit the following application materials (1) a cover letter, (2) resume with names of three references, and (3) examples of writing and web-based projects.
How to Apply
To Apply: Visit https://jobs.fsu.edu. Job ID#45371. Job Opening closes midnight June 11, 2019.
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service. Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.
*Submit a Cover Letter, Resume with three references, as well as examples of writing and web-based projects.
Request Letters of Reference
This position requires that you have three confidential professional letters of recommendation submitted on your behalf. Follow the steps below to request these letters through our system:
1) After submitting your application, click the Return to Job Search link;
2) Click the My References link;
3) Click the Send/View Reference Request button next to the appropriate position; and
4) Follow the steps on that page to send your references a system generated email requesting they submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
You may also return to the My References link and click on “Send/View Reference Request” to see if your references have responded, add additional references, or resend requests.
Job Originally Posted on: Wednesday, May 22, 2019