Media Relations Coordinator
Company: Florida Department of Corrections
Contact Person: [email protected]
Application Deadline: September 28, 2023
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with correctional institutions, probation offices, and program offices to gather information and formulate responses in coordination with the Deputy Communications Director and Communications Director.
- Prepare and research department information for Office of Communications.
- Draft press releases, media statements, and talking points for the Secretary and leadership through coordination with the appropriate program offices, operational and administrative staff, and coordinators of special initiatives.
- Format and edit documents, publications, and presentations for program offices and department leadership.
- Assist in advising institutional personnel about the department’s media relations policies and procedures through daily contact with the institutions and other FDC facilities concerning media requests and visits.
- Advises and visits regional and local correctional institutions and probation offices to develop localized information and media relations programs and strategies.
- Assists in monitoring and distributing department news clips.
- Facilitate on-site inmate interviews with media representatives when necessary.
- Plan and develop informational materials for press conferences and other media events.
- Coordinate public records requests with the department’s public records unit.
- Answer the Communications Office press line.
- Provide staff support to agency leadership at events when needed.
- Arranges interviews between reporters and inmates by contacting the designated institution to determine approval or disapproval from the inmates, reviewing the reporter’s credentials, and determining when and how the interview will occur.
- Assists in developing and distributing standardized departmental policy related to the operation of the Public Affairs Office to DC personnel regarding media relations, requests, and visitors.
- Complete weekly tasks assignments in accordance with Communications strategy.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Knowledge of the rules of grammar and punctuation.
- Ability to analyze information and public relations needs.
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate work assignments.
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of public relations, public information, mass communications, journalism, news reporting, editing, advertising, marketing, or photography.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form. AP style a plus.
- Ability to use independent judgment in handling media inquiries and news releases.
- Ability to research topics and write articles or prepare information for dissemination.
- Ability to coordinate the planning, preparation and dissemination of news releases, newsletters, speeches, and other materials.
Please note, when submitting a college/university degree, if selected for this position official transcripts will be required.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and two years of professional experience in news reporting, editing, public relations, public information, advertising, marketing, mass communications or journalism.
- A master’s degree from an accredited college or university in communications or English can substitute for one year of the required experience.
- Professional or nonprofessional experience as described above can substitute on a year-for-year basis for the required college education.
How to Apply
Job Originally Posted on: Tuesday, September 19, 2023