External Affairs Director
Company: Volunteer Florida
Contact Person: Savannah Kelly
Application Deadline: February 8, 2018
Volunteer Florida is currently looking for a Director of External Affairs to join our team. If you possess high-level organizational skills, have the ability to set goals and priorities, and have the desire to work in a collaborative team atmosphere, this is may be the position for you!
This position requires the ability to excercises discretion, judgement and responsibility for the continual development of Volunteer Florida’s communication strategies and public relations plans; directing the organization’s communication efforts with a special emphasis to promote and sustain current Volunteer Florida partnerships across a diverse spectrum of industries. This position also directs and plans special events such as service projects, recognition programs and signature events. In addition, this position is responsible for developing legislative strategies using independent discretion and judgement for the organization to manage intergovernmental relationships through liaising with state agencies and legislators, to achieve the organization’s legislative objectives.
Desired Skills and Experience
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university and a minimum of three years’ experience in the field of communications/public relations. Legislative experience is preferred.
The ideal candidate will be a team player with experience in coordination and administration at an executive level. Other knowledge, skills and experience include the following:
• Administration and Management — Knowledge of and ability to apply business and management principles involved in strategic planning and coordination of people and resources.
• Verbal and Written Communication— Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with a clear command of the rules of composition, and grammar. High level of skill and attention to detail in writing and editing is required.
• Legislative Process — Knowledge of the legislative process and bill tracking. Knowledge of the tasks related to tracking legislation and analyzing proposed bills in order to advocate for agency funding and governance.
• Communications and Media — Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes traditional written, oral, and visual media and social media.
• Sales and Marketing — Knowledge and ability to apply principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
• Service Orientation — Skill in actively seeking and developing ways to assist others with a high level of professionalism and customer service.
• Complex Problem Solving — Demonstrated ability to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions. Ability to exercise independent discretion and judgement to resolve matters of importance in the absence of the Chief Executive Officer.
• Planning and Coordination — Demonstrated ability to plan and coordinate among members of the team and between other departments or external organizations to meet performance objectives.
• Organization – Skill in maintaining a high level of organization with the ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Travel – Ability to travel overnight for all in-person Commission and Foundation Board meetings and other events as needed.
How to Apply
Volunteer Florida offers competitive salary and benefits. To submit your resume for consideration please email to: [email protected].
Job Originally Posted on: Tuesday, January 30, 2018