Director of Communication
Company: The Gainesville Area (FL) Chamber of Commerce
Contact Person: Tim Giuliani
Application Deadline: September 7, 2014
The Gainesville Area (FL) Chamber of Commerce is hiring a Director of Communication. The role is to direct and lead the organization’s overall regional communications and branding strategy that increases awareness, supports divisional and organizational goals and provides an effective communication strategy to all target markets. The Chamber is 5-star accredited by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, putting the organization in the top 1% of all chambers nationally. The selected candidate would join the Leadership Team, comprised of top professionals leading the divisions of Business Development, Economic Development, Education, Talent Alignment & Workforce Development, International Trade, Public Policy, and Regional Growth. This position works across the entire organization and reports directly to the President & CEO.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Direct all public relations and establish strong relations with media partners and news outlets locally, regionally and
state-wide. Manage all media requests for statements, interviews, coverage, etc.
• Direct and ensure execution of regular communications strategy to all target markets
• Lead branding initiative and serve as internal brand manager
• Assist each Vice President achieve their goals through effective and strategic communications
• Draft Chamber press releases, media advisories and Op-Ed submissions as appropriate
• May be required to serve as Chamber spokesperson as appropriate
• May be required to represent the Chamber before elected officials and communicate Chamber policy positions
• Education and/or Experience –Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s Degree a plus, 5 years in a public
relations preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in public sector
communications, economic development and/or community development organizations a plus.
• Language Skills – Ability to write and speak to effectively communication with the public and
• Budget Skills -Ability to manage a departmental budget.
• Collaboration Ability – Ability to work with direct, executive power and effectively collaborate with
internal leaders of many divisions
• Computer Skills – To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Marketing
Design software; Adobe; Photo Shop and Illustrator, Internet software; Spreadsheet, Power Point, email
software and Word Processing software. Experience with Cision and other PR software a plus.
How to Apply
All inquiries and resumes should be directly electronically to: [email protected]
Job Originally Posted on: Thursday, August 7, 2014