Deputy Communications Director
Company: Florida Department of Corrections
Contact Person: Michelle Glady
Application Deadline: March 9, 2021
– Lead, manage, and supervise a team of communications professionals to direct a strategic public information program for the Florida Department of Corrections, including recruitment advertising, social media messaging across all platforms, media relations, proactive outreach to media and stakeholders and website review and development.
– Assist the department’s communications director in planning, developing, managing and coordinating communications strategies.
– Make independent, timely, acceptable, suitable, and effective decisions in accordance with plans, policies, and procedures.
– Sync communications strategies and messaging with agency goals, priorities and focus.
– Effectively organize and coordinate team assignments while giving appropriate priority to delivering high quality work products.
– Advise and visit regional and local facilities for the purpose of growing professional relationships, producing localized information and developing media relations programs and strategies.
– Coordinate media public records requests across the agency.
– Represent FDC in on-the-record interviews with TV, radio and print news media.
– Perform media liaison duties for the department during high-profile incidents.
– Conduct interview prep for department leadership and staff when necessary.
– Coordinate activities concerning news media relations, publicity and outreach efforts.
– Research, write, edit and deliver news releases, feature articles, advertising, social media and other communications material regarding FDC issues for news media, targeted publications, staff, stakeholders and the public.
– Write and edit speeches and PowerPoint presentations for department leadership.
– Work with department leadership in assessing needs for communicating via news media. Develop strategic and operational plans for accomplishing media relations strategies.
– Coordinate responses to information requests from legislators, other governmental agencies and news media.
– Plan and develop informational materials for press conferences and other media events, including executions, and assist the communications director with the coordination of such events.
– Provide support as needed to all other communications office personnel, agency leadership and recruitment staff for any and all communications needs.
– Management or team lead experience.
– State government experience strongly preferred
– Exceptional writing abilities required with a demonstrated ability to write and edit quickly accurately and tight deadline; knowledge of AP Style
– Exceptional organizational skills
– A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution OR at least six (6) years of documented, high level experience in communications, public/media relations or management, which can be substituted for a degree.
– At least two years of professional experience in communications or management.
– Ability to work in a confidential law enforcement environment
– Ability to work nights and weekends on occasion in response to high-profile incidents
– Ability to operate well under pressure, manage multiple projects and work positively in a team environment
How to Apply
Job Originally Posted on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021