Communications/Writing Intern – Remote
Company: Southern Group of State Foresters
Contact Person: Chelsea Ealum
Application Deadline: September 1, 2021
The Southern Group of State Foresters is seeking a Communications/Writing Intern. This internship is remote, but intern will have opportunity for face-to-face with mentor in Tallahassee, Florida.
The primary responsibility of the intern will be to support communications needs for an upcoming website overhaul project. The intern will help review, edit and update current web copy to AP standards and revise messaging for clarity and style as needed. Intern will also collaborate with stakeholders within the organization to help identify priorities, key audiences, pain points and other needs to help inform development of a communications strategy behind a full website redesign (Note: this intern does not need to be a web designer or understand backend technology issues).
Other responsibilities and tasks for this role may include drafting communications materials, developing social media content and supporting ongoing website content updates.
The Southern Group of State Foresters (SGSF) is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit corporation representing state forestry agencies within the 13 southeastern United States, and the U.S. territories of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. SGSF members collectively provide leadership, coordination, expertise and resources to sustain the economic, environmental, health and societal benefits of southern forests. This includes the delivery of regional support needed to address existing and emerging issues related to sustainable forest management, forest health, water resources, urban and community forestry, forest product markets, wildfire protection, conservation education and disaster response.
• Undergraduate student currently enrolled at a college or university studying Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing or another related field.
• Proficient in AP style with strong editing and writing skills.
• Knowledge and experience using Microsoft Word, Excel and SharePoint. Experience with Adobe Creative products a plus.
• Must be self-motivated, organized and able to complete tasks on time.
• Must be able to commit 5-10 hours per week.
• Must be able to use own computer and internet to accomplish work.
How to Apply
Please email a resume, cover letter and 1-2 samples of your writing to Chelsea Ealum at [email protected]. Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, September 1, 2021.
Job Originally Posted on: Thursday, August 19, 2021