Company: Florida House of Representatives
Contact Person: Jenna Sarkissian
Application Deadline: October 16, 2021
This is work assisting in the design and coordination of public relations and information services programs for the Florida Legislature.
Examples of Work Performed:
• Assists in researching, coordinating, planning, preparing and disseminating talking points, articles, speeches, fact sheets and other publications to support public information activities.
• Responsible for booking the Speaker and other House leadership on television and radio programs and preparing related interview materials.
• Writes, edits and coordinates the distribution of news releases.
• Researches newspaper articles and monitors radio/television public affairs programs for information of interest to Legislators and staff.
• Performs other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Highly organized and able to keep track of and manage multiple projects at one time.
• Ability to write simply and accurately on deadline while also being able to produce longer-form content in a unique voice.
• Have a strong situational awareness of Florida legislative, social and political landscapes to anticipate needs and opportunities.
• Knowledge of the principles and techniques of public relations, public information, mass communications, journalism, news reporting, editing, advertising or marketing.
• Knowledge of the legislative process.
• Familiarity with Capitol and local press corps members and ability to pitch stories, provide responses to inquiries and keep track of media lists.
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
• A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and two years of professional experience in news reporting, research, public relations, public information, advertising, marketing, journalism, or mass communications, or a related field.
• Professional experience as described above can substitute on a year-for-year basis for the required college education.
Base Salary: Commensurate with experience
The Legislature offers a competitive benefits package.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants should send a completed legislative application and resume to:
Florida House Speaker’s Office
The Florida Legislative Employment Application is available on the Legislative website at http://www.leg.state.fl.us
Accommodation for Disability: If an accommodation is needed for a disability, please notify Human Resources at (850) 488-6803.
Job Originally Posted on: Wednesday, September 8, 2021