Communications Intern, Tallahassee Office
Company: Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy, Public Charity
Contact Person: Elizabeth Hirst, Senior VP of Communications
Application Deadline: July 9, 2014
The Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy, a national nonprofit, is seeking an intern to work in our Tallahassee office assisting the vice-president of communications, and office manager. Candidates must be available to work approximately 20 -25 hours per week. Preference will be given to those who can work for at least two consecutive semesters. This is a paid position for qualified candidates.
Candidates should be quick learners with the ability to juggle multiple tasks on a daily basis with a can-do attitude. We are seeking someone with excellent writing skills, basic office skills, and a general understanding of the real-world application of public/media relations and communications tasks.
• Handling basic office duties including answering phone calls, preparing mailings, copy and fax needs, book inventory and other administrative tasks
• Researching information and sources for communications and marketing projects, preparing reporter contact lists in various media markets to include print, broadcast, digital, blog writers
• Assistance with reporter outreach via emails and phone calls
• News clip/media coverage tracking
• Managing and creating social media posts, tweets and monitoring accounts for daily activities – analytics tracking
• Maintaining Foundation’s WordPress website and frequently updating content
• Assistance with writing, editing and publishing E-Newsletters
• Drafting/editing public relations collateral, event planning assistance
• Working with administrative assistant and other staff on special projects, as needed
About the Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy:
The Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy is the nation’s leading advocate for family literacy by supporting a lifetime of learning from birth to adulthood. As a national public charity, established in 1989 by former First Lady Barbara Bush, the Foundation focuses simultaneously on early childhood education for preschoolers and adult literacy for their parents. As we mark our 25th anniversary this year, we are determined to provide more families in America with access to and choice of educational opportunities to obtain literacy skills.
– Ideal candidates are students Public Relations/Communications majors. Interest and experience in writing, nonprofit work, marketing and social media is helpful.
– Past intern, work experience in the public relations field is a plus.
– Candidates should be interested in working more than one semester; and begin working in August 2014.
How to Apply
Please send resume and at least two writing samples to [email protected]
Job Originally Posted on: Wednesday, June 11, 2014