Communications Intern (Paid)
Company: Florida Department of Economic Opportunity
Contact Person: Karen Smith
Application Deadline: December 1, 2017
The Florida Department of Economic Opportunity is seeking a paid Communications Intern to work with the Communications Team to keep the public informed of the agency’s mission, activities, programs, services and accomplishments. We are seeking a candidate who is available to work 20 hours a week during the spring 2018 academic semester. The successful candidate must have strong verbal, writing and social media management skills. An entrepreneurial and collaborative attitude is required to work well with our fast-paced Communications Team during the legislative session.
Specific job duties may include:
• Editing press releases, media advisories, statements, etc.;
• Creating content for the agency’s social media pages and reporting on social media activities;
• Monitoring ongoing news trends, distributing relevant articles to senior staff and compiling daily press clippings;
• Drafting and editing the department’s internal communications, including the employee newsletter;
• Other administrative support tasks as needed.
• College student pursuing a degree in public relations, communications or related field;
• An interest in public relations, political communication or public policy;
• Ability to work effectively under deadlines and minimum supervision;
• Willingness to learn public relations skills, including A.P. Style writing and using the Meltwater media monitoring platform.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and two writing samples (each may be from previous coursework) to [email protected]
Job Originally Posted on: Monday, November 20, 2017