Company: Florida Department of Health
Application Deadline: September 1, 2013
The Office of Communications at the Florida Department of Health coordinates media relations for the Department by responding to media inquiries and public records requests, facilitating interviews with subject matter experts, marketing various events, health themes and campaigns, and advising media outlets of important issues.
The Florida Department of Health’s (DOH) Office of Communications is looking for two unpaid interns who have excellent communication skills and knowledge of all current technology and computer software. Successful candidates will be creative, pro-active problem solvers.
While the internships do not offer a salary, interns will gain first-hand experience working in a state communications office representing over 17,000 employees that will provide an opportunity to develop work samples for a personal portfolio and meet internship requirements.
What You Will Get to Do:
• Assist with press release writing and distribution
• Write feature articles for DOH’s online newsroom and plan upcoming articles- http://newsroom.doh.state.fl.us/
• Interact with subject matter experts for division and program resources, quote drafting, and finalizing articles
• Assist with and gain knowledge of social media networks (Facebook, Twitter, You Tube) and draft agency-relevant content
• Participate in strategic planning meetings
• Perform other duties as assigned
What We Expect from You:
• Minimum of 20 hours per week
• Strong writing skills and knowledge of AP style
• Perform the internship in a professional manner in terms of conduct, timeliness, and dress code. Treat this like a job!
• Ability to multi-task
• Capable of working in a fast-paced environment
• Enthusiasm for the field of public relations and communications
• Must be able to work independently and meet deadlines
• Excellent writing and editing skills
• Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
• Working knowledge of Twitter and Facebook
• Working knowledge of Web 2.0
• Ability to converse with media professionals
• Earning a PR/Communications degree, English, Creative Writing or related field of study
How to Apply
Job Originally Posted on: Sunday, July 21, 2013