Florida Department of Environmental Protection
Company: Florida Department of Environmental Protection
Contact Person: Lennie Zeiler
Application Deadline: January 29, 2014
The Florida Department of Environmental Protection is seeking a Communication Director. The Department is not only the lead agency for environmental management, stewardship and protecting Florida’s air, water and land; it is also one of the more diverse agencies in state government.
This challenging senior level position is a trusted and key member of the Secretary’s Executive Leadership Team that reports to the Chief of Staff. It manages the Press Office and Office of External Outreach.
The Communication Director is responsible for the overall planning, organization, and direction of the Department’s communication strategies and public information activities and promoting the Department’s goals and accomplishments.
Expectations for this position include fostering and maintaining relationships with state and local news media, editors, reporters, other Communication Directors, partner organizations, and governmental officials and their staff; raising greater awareness about the Department’s programs; and facilitating opportunities for the Department to showcase its initiatives, milestones and accomplishments.
DEP is divided into three primary areas: Regulatory Programs, Land and Recreation, and Water Policy and Ecosystem Restoration. Florida’s environmental priorities include:
• Developing a consistent and effective regulatory process.
• Ensuring the quality and quantity of our state’s water resources.
• Increasing the access to our award-winning state parks.
The Communication Director’s duties include but are not limited to:
• Planning, organizing, and directing overall communication strategies and public information activities for the Department;
• Developing, planning, and managing a proactive communication program to enhance the reputation of the Department;
• Overseeing internal and external communications and presentations, in close relation with the senior and mid-level management and the Executive Office of the Governor;
• Overseeing the Department’s digital communication, including the content for the Website, social media, and newsletters;
• Coordinating, overseeing and attending press activities, such as press releases and events;
• Representing the Department in the media and other relevant occasions;
• Developing and implementing annual strategic communication plans that include goals, activities, materials, and performance indicators;
• Providing detailed reports of communications activities;
• Supporting communication goals of the Governor and Secretary;
• Participating in strategic planning with the Secretary and Executive Leadership Team.
• Identifying communication needs and goals for each of the Department’s primary areas.
• Producing content for distribution through several information channels and platforms including the Department’s website and social media.
• Travel as assigned by the Secretary.
Qualifications and Experience
Ideal applicants will have the following knowledge and competencies:
• A master’s degree in a relevant subject, such as communications, political science, environmental science or a similar field or a bachelor’s degree in one of these fields with substantial relevant professional experience;
• At least six years professional experience in the field of communications or media relations, preferably with at least two years in a managing or supervisory role;
• A clear understanding of the mission, tasks and responsibilities of the Department, as well as Florida’s environmental issues.
• An advanced level command of English; and
• Proficiency in MS Office, in particular Word and PowerPoint.
The successful candidate will have the following behavioral competencies:
• Excellent communication skills and competence to demonstrate empathy in conversations;
• Excellent writing skills and use of simple/clear words and images to give information and communicate ideas;
• Ability to handle sensitive information in a discreet manner, respecting confidentiality;
• Demonstrate a breadth of awareness and sound judgment;
• Ability to manage multiple assignments and track progress on numerous processes simultaneously;
• Capacity to organize work within short time frames;
• Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with staff and management at all levels, both inside and outside the Department; and
• The ability to share and support information about the achievements of the Governor and Department in attaining their goals.
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to DEP Chief of Staff, Lennie Zeiler at [email protected].
Job Originally Posted on: Friday, January 17, 2014