Company: Florida Department of Revenue
Contact Person: MaryAnn Murphy
Application Deadline: October 21, 2016
Reports to: Chief of Staff
The Florida Department of Revenue is seeking a Communications Director to oversee the Office of Communications. The Communications Director is responsible for establishing work priorities based on organizational goals; setting standards for communications across various programs and service sites; and soliciting and synthesizing organizational feedback to enhance overall connectedness within the agency.
• Develop, implement and evaluate a comprehensive strategic communications plan to advance the Department’s mission and organizational goals.
• Direct and/or engage in digital strategies to include website updates, social media campaigns, social media content, and direct digital marketing.
• Direct and/or engage in traditional communications strategies including public relations, media relations, event marketing and public speaking activities.
• Conduct measurement and evaluation of communications strategies and tactics.
• Write/distribute news releases and other media materials as appropriate to media.
• Serve as a department spokesperson.
• Develop proactive and reactive communications strategies that address issues that may affect reputation, and support crisis response and issues management activities.
• Identify, leverage and integrate video, digital, social media and other appropriate platforms that will increase the effectiveness and timeliness of communications.
• Develop and/or conduct awareness campaigns.
• Manage the administrative operations of the Office of Communications, including budget development and management of at least one direct report.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, or similar.
2. Minimum of five years of Communications or Public Relations experience developing, implementing and measuring communications plans and programs.
Additional Qualifications & Skills:
• Master’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Business Administration, and/or Marketing preferred.
• Experience in both internal communications and external media relations.
• Exceptional writing and editing skills, as evidenced by past experience and writing samples. Strong verbal communications skills, as well as excellent presentation skills.
• Experience creating effective messaging for internal and external audiences and managing a range of communication media including face-to-face (town halls, executive speeches, etc.), print, online, social and multimedia.
• Excellent project management skills, and the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously.
• Problem solving skills, with specific focus on developing new, creative ways to drive communications in a changing environment.
• Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to build teamwork and trust.
• Demonstrated leadership skills to lead work groups and teams, as well as working across multiple functions and disciplines.
• Positive attitude and willingness to embrace change.
1. Proven ability to handle projects that require critical thinking, communications management and media relations;
2. Strong writing, editing, proof-reading and organizational skills;
3. Excellent problem-solving techniques and research abilities;
4. Working knowledge of Microsoft products, email programs, website development,
5. Ability to set and meet deadlines;
6. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, executives and stakeholders.
How to Apply
Send resume and any other materials to [email protected].
To learn more about the Florida Department of Revenue, visit our website at http://dor.myflorida.com/.
Job Originally Posted on: Friday, October 14, 2016