Company: Northwest Florida Water Management District
Contact Person: Human Resources
Application Deadline: July 19, 2013
The position will play an integral role in carrying out District communications and public information activities, including:
• Works closely with Division staff and the Communications Director to identify and generate content for proactive District communications, including press releases, advisories, newsletter content and other materials.
• Help design, produce and generate content for educational publications, including brochures, fact sheets, etc., relating to educating the public about the District’s missions and activities.
• Identify opportunities to communicate District initiatives and projects to appropriate industry and interest groups, including utilities, agriculture and other regulated industries, by participating in events and identifying specialty publications and websites to pitch content to.
• Work with Division staff to organize, generate, produce and update website content to ensure the site is up-to-date and relevant.
• Help create and implement a social media policy to establish online presence and advance the agency and our news.
• Serve as back-up to Communications Director in for District media relations activities.
• Help develop and implement strategic communications and advocacy campaigns, designed to continually educate and update the public on District activities and translate complicated issues into easy to understand terms.
• Work closely with District staff to develop educational and communications materials that help ensure compliance and encourage conservation activities.
Graduation from college with a bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations or a related field, and two years of relevant experience; or graduation with a master’s degree and one year of relevant experience. Knowledge and skills in communications, graphic design and social media.
• Requires excellent speaking, communications and publications skills; knowledge of social media; and event planning and management.
• Experience in publication layout, design and production, audio-visual production and desktop publishing experience and skills are preferred.
• Ability to closely coordinate with technical District staff and translate scientific and technical material into understandable material both for the general public and specific industry and interest groups, including agricultural, utilities and other groups.
• Additional abilities include: speaking to public and interest groups clearly, accurately, and responsibly; establishing and maintaining positive working relationships with employees and Governing Board members; interacting with the public in a mature, professional manner; excellent communications skills; ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines; ability to work both independently and cooperatively with Communications and technical staff.
How to Apply
Submit a Northwest Florida Water Management District Application and resume to: [email protected] ; or fax to 850.539.2777; or mail to P.O. Box 500, Midway, FL 32343
NOTICE TO APPLICANT: We hire only U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized alien workers. If you need an accommodation in order to participate in the application/selection process, please notify the Office of Human Resources at (850) 539-5999 in advance.
A separate application must be submitted for each Job Opportunity Announcement indicating the position number and title for which you are applying. Applications must be received in the Office of Human Resources by 5:00 p.m. of the deadline date in order to be eligible for consideration. Preference will be given to certain veterans and others related in accordance with Chapter 295, Florida Statutes, Veterans Preference Law. Applicant must provide the required proof of preference at the time of submitting an application for a vacant position. Males between the ages of 18 and 26 are required to provide proof of Selective Service Registration prior to employment or promotion.
Job Originally Posted on: Wednesday, June 19, 2013