Associate Vice President for University Relations: Director of University Communications
Company: Florida State University
Contact Person: https://jobs.fsu.edu
Application Deadline: October 31, 2014
Florida State University
Associate Vice President for University Relations
Director of University Communications
Job ID: 37804
One of the nation’s elite research universities, Florida State University – with the Carnegie Foundation’s highest designation, Doctoral/Research University-Extensive – offers a distinctive academic environment built on its cherished values and unique heritage, welcoming campus on the oldest continuous site of higher education in Florida, championship athletics, and prime location in the heart of Tallahassee, the state capital. Florida State University ranks 43rd among the nation’s top 50 public universities, according to U.S. News and World Report’s 2015 edition of “America’s Best Colleges.”
Combining traditional strength in the arts and humanities with recognized leadership in the sciences, Florida State University provides unmatched opportunities for students and faculty through challenging academics, cultural discovery and community interaction. Florida State aims to be the most student-centered university in the nation. Its 40,000 students have opportunities through 16 colleges offering more than 275 undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, professional and specialist degree programs, including medicine and law, covering a broad array of disciplines critical to society today. Each year the University awards over 2,000 graduate and professional degrees.
The Florida State Seminoles represent the university in intercollegiate athletics as a member of the NCAA (Division I) competing in the Atlantic Coast Conference. The Seminoles field 20 teams, 9 mens and 11 womens, and have won 13 national titles, over 100 team conference titles, and numerous individual national and conference titles.
Essential Functions of the Position:
Reporting to the Vice President for University Relations, the Associate Vice President for University Relations, Director of University Communications serves as the chief communications officer for the University.
He/she is responsible for developing and implementing integrated marketing communication strategies designed to advance the universitys mission, vision, and initiatives among wide-ranging target audiences. This includes building and protecting the university’s brand position and identity, advising and supporting senior university administrators (including the president and board of trustees), facilitating information sharing with internal audiences through the Communicators*Network, and providing consult on marketing and strategic communication efforts university wide to colleges, schools, departments, and direct service organizations (i.e. FSU Alumni Association, FSU Foundation, FSU License Tag, and FSU Intercollegiate Athletics).
This individual will supervise all aspects of the University Communications office including Creative Services, University Brand Services, University News & Digital Communications, Social Media, and Integrated Marketing. He/she may also serve as a communications and public relations advisor to the president and advocate for the University Communications office.
Preferred Criteria Include:
- Extensive experience in marketing and strategic communications management within a college or university, particularly peer institutions of similar size and complexity.
- Ability to develop, implement, protect and uphold the university’s brand and image through integrated marketing and strategic initiatives in all mediums.
- Extensive experience in developing and implementing complex communication plans and integrated marketing campaigns, both internally and externally.
- Experience managing, developing, and implementing all forms of communication vehicles including, but not limited to, print, electronic, online and social media.
- Experience working with national and/or state news media in media relations and issues management.
- Well grounded in the issues, trends, and complexities of higher education.
Other Related Criteria Include:
- Strong leadership and team-building skills
- Ability to work with diverse constituents and partners across multiple colleges, departments, units, and direct service organizations.
- Ability to promote the academic and research accomplishments and strategic initiatives of the administration, faculty, staff, and students at the university.
- Experience with the execution of integrated marketing and communication plans in philanthropy and governmental relations.
- Experience with the implementation and execution of comprehensive social media campaigns.
- Excellent writer, editor, and creative director.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Strong entrepreneurial and business skills.
- Experience in crisis and issues management.
How to Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and all education details even if attaching a resume.
A cover letter, resume, and three letters of reference must be submitted; supplemental materials will not be considered.
Commensurate with experience
Background Check Requirements:
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check to include fingerprinting.
Open Until Filled:
The position is being advertised as open until filled.
Tobacco Free Campus:
Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior, owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU’s Equal Opportuinity Statement can be viewed at:
Job Originally Posted on: Monday, September 29, 2014