Assistant or Associate Director of Communications
Company: Association for Institutional Research
Contact Person: [email protected]
Application Deadline: June 30, 2014
The Association for Institutional Research (AIR) is a global non-profit, membership association established in 1966 and based in Tallahassee, FL. AIR does not lobby or undertake political activity. The Association helps improve the decision-making and data-use capacity of college and university administrators and senior staff.
AIR is seeking an Assistant or Associate Director level staff member to develop and implement a communications strategy for the organization. Outstanding colleagues, benefits, pay, and opportunities for advancement make AIR a rewarding work environment.
AIR is the world’s largest professional association for institutional researchers and provides educational resources, best practices and professional development opportunities for more than 4,000 members. The field of institutional research (IR) is embedded in nearly every college and university in the United States and many others around the world. Often working behind-the-scenes, IR professionals support campus leaders and policy makers in planning, programming, and decision-making covering a broad range of institutional responsibilities (e.g., research support for senior academic leaders, admissions, financial aid, and facilities). Additionally, institutional researchers collect data for governmental reporting and benchmarking against similar institutions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manage AIR’s ongoing communications programs to increase member awareness of AIR and member benefits.
• Develop and implement an overall communications strategy, incorporating a unified theme and “voice” across all external communications. This includes integrating various forms of communication (emails, discussion boards, e-newsletter, website copy, etc.) into a more fully developed plan that strengthens the brand and promotes the goals and mission of the Association.
• After developing the communications strategy (and at identified intervals), review and assess communication projects to measure success and return on investment (ROI) and make recommendations for improvement(s).
• Manage the production of AIR’s electronic newsletter, eAIR, including developing content ideas, project management, and providing direction and guidance for how eAIR can better serve AIR members.
• Manage large email communications; use data to measure success of those communications; and archive final products and data for ease of retrieval.
• Oversee AIR’s social media (mainly LinkedIn) and create strategies to better utilize these sources to increase member engagement.
Type and Location of Employment: This full-time, salaried position is located at AIR’s headquarters in Tallahassee, FL and is supervised by the Deputy Director.
Salary: $42,000-$56,000 dependent upon qualifications and experience.
• Health Insurance (Capital Health Plan, Essentials) – Full coverage for employee, except for $25 monthly contribution by employee (spouse/family options via payroll deduction at employee expense).
• Dental Insurance (Assurant) – Full coverage for employee (spouse/family options via payroll deduction at employee expense).
• Retirement – AIR double matches (2:1) employee contributions to tax deferred retirement plan. Maximum AIR contribution is 10% of salary.
• Vacation – 15+ days per year (one additional day added on each anniversary of hire; maximum of 22 days per year)
• Sick Time – 13 days per year
• Holidays – 9 paid standard holidays each year: (New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Friday after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day)
• Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance – Full coverage for employee
• Life Insurance – $50,000 Group Term Life Insurance
• Flex-Pay Plans – Pre-tax health and child care plans are available via payroll deduction
• Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in communications, journalism, marketing, or related/similar field.
• 5+ years of experience working in communications or marketing.
• 2+ years of experience working with non-profit organizations/associations.
• Ability to identify the best communication strategy based on differing audiences and mediums.
• Ability to work effectively, both independently and as a member of a team.
• Ability to handle numerous tasks and assignments, with varying deadlines.
• Experience working with and editing website copy and content.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
• Knowledge of Web applications is a plus.
How to Apply
Submit a letter of interest and résumé via email to [email protected]. Applicants are encouraged to highlight the measurable outcomes they have achieved in their past roles. Questions related to this job listing should also be directed to the same email address, which is monitored daily.
The first review of applications is scheduled for June 30, 2014 but applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Job Originally Posted on: Wednesday, June 18, 2014