Assistant Director of Communications
Company: FSU Foundation
Application Deadline: November 30, 2022
The FSU Foundation, the academic fundraising arm of Florida State University, seeks a dynamic communications professional for the role of assistant director of communications.
Provides support to the Senior Director of Communications and serves as the primary contact and manager for the department in the absence of the senior director. Additionally, position assists in the creation, implementation and management of strategic, multi-faceted communications projects designed to further the Foundation’s mission, goals and objectives.
Writing and Editing
Participate in developing, writing and editing communications including proposals, case statements, newsletters, brochures and a variety of campaign collateral materials. Write and edit stories, articles and briefs for various internal and external publications in accordance with accepted stylistic standards. Assist Senior Director of Communications and other Foundation staff with writing, editing and proofreading letters, programs, press releases, invitations and collateral materials.
Identify and manage communication projects on behalf of the Foundation, including organizing any research, obtaining necessary approvals and measuring results. Communicate directly with Communications and departmental staff on project status, needs and expected deadlines. Manage communications internship program, including recruiting, interviewing and onboarding interns, assigning and overseeing projects and tasks and providing thoughtful evaluation at the conclusion of the semester. Work with development officers on developing communication tools to assist in fundraising for their college/unit, including gift proposals and other collateral.
Strategy and Planning
Provide appropriate communication strategy for departments/projects, working with the Senior Director of Communications. Identify story ideas, conduct interviews and research, and develop stories for the Foundation and campaign websites. Protect confidential information.
Perform the related duties as assigned. Serve as the primary contact and manager for the department in the absence of the Senior Director of Communications.
Keep abreast of fundraising and communications best practices
– Bachelor’s degree and four years of experience; or a high school diploma/equivalent and experience equal to eight years. (Note: post-high school education can substitute for experience at the equivalent rate.)
– Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
Proficiency in the Microsoft Office products suite (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word), or equivalent software.
– A self-starter, comfortable working independently while working well in a team-oriented environment, taking the initiative to be productive and efficient.
– Experience communicating with a variety of audiences.
– Must be a creative thinker and recognize the impact of meaningful stewardship.
– Ability to prioritize, organize and perform multiple work assignments simultaneously.
– Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and successfully manage competing deadlines.
– Ability to handle confidential, sensitive information with the highest degree of professionalism.
– Degree in English, Journalism, Public Relations or related field.
– Experience with capital campaign communications.
– Experience in a university or communications agency environment.
– Experience with social media.
– Superior verbal and written communication skills.
– Highly organized and detail-oriented.
– Outstanding interpersonal skills to work effectively with a diverse audience of alumni, friends, faculty, staff, students and university community members.
– Customer or service-oriented approach.
How to Apply
Submit resume and cover letter on jobs.fsu.edu (Job Opening ID: 53042)
Job Originally Posted on: Tuesday, September 20, 2022