Assistant Director for News and Research Communications
Company: Office of University Communications, Florida State University
Application Deadline: January 3, 2022
Reporting to the Director of News and Research Communications, this position works directly with top-level university administrators to identify, develop, and disseminate critical, high-quality Florida State University news content and communications to elevate the national and international reputation of the university with both internal and external audiences.
• Supervises the production and distribution of strategic news content by the News and Research Communications, Digital, social media, and Creative teams. Assigns, edits, proofreads, approves, and coordinates news content by news writing team (both direct reports and other employees) for distribution to news media and for publication on university websites. Collaborates with communicators campus wide to develop additional news content.
• Manages placement and scheduling of strategic university news content including articles, photos, photo galleries, videos and radio files on high visibility university websites including www.fsu.edu homepage and news.fsu.edu.
• Writes and distributes time-sensitive news releases, media advisories, web articles, key messages, and newsletters for distribution to news media, for publication on university websites, and dissemination to internal constituents via email. Cultivates and maintains relationships with media to enhance the university’s media relations strategy through story pitching.
• Collaborates with Assistant Vice President for University Communications and other top-level FSU administrators plus communicators across the campus to identify and disseminate news and other information including key messages.
• Monitors 24-hour external news and media reports and shares internally and externally as appropriate.
A Bachelor’s degree and five years of experience; or a high school diploma or equivalent and nine years of experience. (Note: a combination of post high school education and experience equal to nine years.)
Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and work on a team.
Knowledge of the standards, principles, trends, and practices of news production.
Ability to gather, interpret, report, and/or edit information as well as the ability to evaluate process effectiveness and develop change or alternatives.
Experience working with current media technology including issues, trends, web standards and best practices.
Current online publishing and media placement experience.
How to Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu Job ID: 50628
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.
Job Originally Posted on: Monday, December 6, 2021