Event and Communications Coordinator (Remote Internship)
Company: Florida Head Start Association
Contact Person: Wanda Minick, Executive Director
Application Deadline: December 31, 2022
The Florida Head Start Association (FHSA) is a non-profit association working with Head Start and Early Head Start programs around the state of Florida to assist them in providing comprehensive child development programs for children from birth to age 5, pregnant women, and families. Head Start focuses on preparing children for school.
Mission and Vision
Head Start was founded in 1965 to help break the cycle of poverty by providing low-income parents with early childhood education and comprehensive family services. Since then, Head Start has expanded to include children from birth – to age 5 and now serves approximately one million children per year in all 50 states. In Florida, Head Start and Early Head Start serve over 40,000 children each year through 142 federal Head Start grantee recipients.
The Mission of the Florida Head Start Association (FHSA) is to support its members to enhance and support the capability of local Head Start programs in the delivery of high-quality services for Florida’s children and families. To this end, FHSA:
1. Actively advocates for resources and policies that support this mission.
2. Forges and maintains strong collaborations with the Office of Head Start (OHS), Florida Head Start Collaboration Office, and the Florida Department of Education Divisions of Early Learning), other partners, advocates, governmental agencies, and community members;
3. Provides to its members up to date information, analysis, strategic direction, and other resources as available; and
4. Through regular meetings, provides for its members meaningful opportunities for information sharing, goal setting, and professional development
Position: Event and Communications Coordinator
Description: FHSA seeks a dynamic, self-starter to assist planning events and communication efforts. This internship is an excellent opportunity to experience various marketing aspects while working for a well-known community-based nonprofit organization.
- Working directly with Executive Director to support everyday operations of FHSA, including planning and preparation for statewide meetings, conferences, and board meetings
- Update and maintain FHSA social media, website, and database
- Create and oversee monthly newsletter and regular member communications
- Assist with designing emails, invites, and other marketing material for hosted events by FHSA
- Assist the Executive Director with the creation of reports and documents, including the Annual Report
- Delivers high-quality, timely, and responsive customer service to FHSA member organizations
- Maintains strong working relationships with FHSA member organizations
- Support the Executive Director with general administrative tasks
- Perform other duties and tasks as assigned by the Executive Director
Benefits and Compensation
- Wage: $18/hour
- FHSA will provide a laptop to conduct remote work
- All travel compensated at IRS standard mileage rate
- This internship is working 12-14 hours per week
- Flexible hours during the work week can be determined by the employee in conversation with Executive Director
Start Date: Position is open until filled and requires a 6 – 10-month commitment.
- Firm grasp of available tools and platforms in the social media space
- Previous internship or related experience in event planning or communications is a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Adobe InDesign, and Photoshop, a plus, and various social media platforms
- An effective communicator, both written and oral
- Excellent communication skills in a professional manner
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Detail-oriented with strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects and tasks and adhere to deadlines
- Capability to travel as needed for statewide meetings and conferences (no more than 10% of time)
- Enthusiasm for the mission of Head Start and the families we serve
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume to Wanda Minick, Executive Director, [email protected]. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
FHSA is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, religion or religious creed, gender, pregnancy, age, disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic disposition, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, municipal or local law. FHSA recognizes that some individuals with disabilities may require accommodations at work. FHSA will not discriminate or retaliate against or harass anyone who requests and/or receives a reasonable accommodation for a qualifying disability.
Job Originally Posted on: Wednesday, November 2, 2022